What you focus on grows. We all know that. It’s not just some half-baked philosophy drummed up by New Age booksellers. We tend to focus more diligently on pursuing the things we desire when we have visual reminders that they really exist, and they can really be ours. All over the world, people from all walks of life are holding parties and workshops to create vision boards, usually comprised of picture collages clipped from magazines. Pinterest can act as a larger scale version of these vision boards. You can create boards for absolutely any category that is important to you, and add anything and everything you want to them. It’s a great way to neatly keep track of the things you desire, and if your preferences change over time, you simply hit delete to get rid of the things that no longer appeal.
Envision your dream life. What does that look like? What would you eat? What clothing would you wear? Can you see your dream house? Where do you vacation? When you focus on what you want, rather than what you don’t want, you’re already closer to getting it.
Top Five Ways to Use Pinterest to Envision Your Life
1. Inspirational Quotes – Thoughts become things. Pessimists usually have dreary lives because they have brainwashed themselves into believing that life is miserable. The great news is that it works in reverse, too. If you flood your brain with positive and inspiring messages your outlook will begin to change. As your outlook changes, so will your life. Fill a board with words that ignite the fire in your soul. Come back to add to it and read it often.
2. The Body You’ve Always Dreamed Of – Not everyone has access to a personal trainer or a gym. That’s okay! Pinterest offers a plethora of home work-out routines, as well as safety tips, to help you get strong and flexible without spending a dime. You’ll look great, but more importantly, you’ll feel great.
3. Home Sweet Home – Envision your dream home down to the very last detail. If you can’t afford to buy the great Victorian you pinned quite yet, opt for the sweet throw pillow or the great vase instead. Little by little you will be able to transform your home into the warm and welcoming haven you’ve always wanted.
4. Makeover Madness – Hairstyles, make up tutorials, and DIY manicures, oh my! Along with all of the hot beauty tips, you can envision your new look from skivvies to sunglasses. If you’re less than thrilled with your current look, use your boards to create a personal style you love.
5. Special Events – Boards for weddings, birthday parties, and holidays can help you envision exactly what you want to do to make these special days memorable. Before you know it, people will be asking you for party planning advice.
Dream big. It’s better to have dreams that are far more grandiose than you imagine to be possible than it is to play small. Even if you don’t end up having everything you ever wanted, you’re likely to end up with a heck of a lot more of what you wanted than if you never let yourself dream at all. You’ll be more motivated, energized, and full of enthusiasm for life. That, in and of itself, is a life worth envisioning.